1919-1957 Massillon Area Council
The Massillon Area Council was chartered in 1919 in Massillon, Ohio. It went through many names changes in its early history. In 1945, property was purchased near Beach City, Ohio to establish the first permanent summer camp. 1946 marked the first Boy Scout summer camp program at Camp Buckeye. The Massillon Girl Scout council also used the property for summer camp for several years. In 1947, several members of Massillon Area Council were inducted into the Order of the Arrow, and Sipp-O Lodge 377 was chartered to Massillon Area Council in 1948. Sipp-O continues to serve Buckeye Council and its camps today.
Massillon and McKinley Area Councils merged at the end of 1957 to form the Buckeye Council. The Council operated sister summer camp operations at Camp Buckeye and Camp Tuscazoar until Camp Buckeye was closed for summer camp operations at the end of 1978 and eventually sold in 1984. It is still operated as a church camp today.
Massillon Area Council Camp issues, generally note Camp Buckeye on them. Often, Massillon Area Council is abbreviated M.A.C. or omitted entirely. It is noteworthy that there was a second Camp Buckeye operated by the Central Ohio Council - and we are not collecting those.
1951 Need this issue