1919-1930 Wayne County Council

The Wayne County Council (#465) was founded in Wooster, Ohio in 1919. The council operated its first summer camp called Camp Rotarian at a temporary location on the south shore of Stafford Lake (now called Sandy Lake) outside of Ravenna, Ohio in 1921. The camp was renamed Camp Wayne for the 1922 and 1923 summer season. Early documents from the archive of the first Scout Executive, R. O. Liebich, indicated that the boys could earn a camp letter for meeting several requirements while at the 10 day camp session.

Little is known of these early camp letters, except that one was uncovered with the Scout Executives archives and is pictured below. As of the date of this writing, there are only 3 known surviving examples of this piece. This is also the earliest known surviving patch for any of the predecessor councils that now make up the Buckeye Council. It is unknown what the prior year letters looked like however they were sourced from a local store according to receipts that were found.

By 1924, Liebich had purchased property that would become Camp Pee Wee Hollow. Little is known about the early days of this camp - or if the camp letter program was continued.

Wayne County was absorbed by the Canton Area Council (renamed McKinley Area in 1932) in 1930.


Camp Wayne Photo 1923

Camp Wayne Photo 1923